The Learning Academy Services offers pre-placement training to students currently enrolled in high school. Students are educated on topics that include: interview skills, resume development, navigating your community, handling work related social interactions and conflict, and completing job applications. Our goal is to prepare students for taking the next step into employment after graduating high school. We accept eight to ten students per session. Classes are held Monday-Thursday for five hours a day to equal 20 hours. Sessions are scheduled during summer months when students are out of school.
• Currently in high school & between the ages of 15-20
• A diagnosis of an Autism Spectrum Disorder and related disabilities
• Has transportation to and from training location
• Has a functional communication system
• Has a clear desire to participate in the four day training for a total of 20 hours
• Has demonstrated the ability to regulate his/her behavior with minimal directions within public settings
• Complete our questionnaire before training begins
- We accept referrals from Vocational Rehabilitation (VR). You must have an Employment Plan (IPE) to be referred. If you don’t have one, call your local Vocational Rehabilitation office, tell them you are interested in WIOA/Pre-Placement Training from the Learning Academy, and request to get an IPE. The sooner you get involved with VR the better.
- We also accept private pay. The fee for the training is $302.
Sessions in Tampa are held at the University of South Florida. We accept referrals from our surrounding 14 county regions and, contingent upon the number of referrals we receive, we will host training sessions in other locations. See Contact tab for how to reach Christine Hugh with questions or information on upcoming training dates and locations.
Download a Brochure