APPLICATIONS ARE DUE ON OR BEFORE MARCH 1 FOR THE PROGRAM YEAR BEGINNING THE FOLLOWING AUGUST
Important: Applications must be mailed. All components of the application must be completed and submitted in order for the application to be considered.
Space is still available for Learning Academy at St Pete College, Clearwater Campus. Apply now online.
Applications are accepted on a continuous basis throughout the year.
- January/February 2017 - Applications reviewed, for the Fall 2017-18 academic year
- March 13 - 18, 2017 - Student interviews commence
- May 2017 - Notification of acceptance into the Learning Academy. Students must contact the Learning Academy coordinator to indicate commitment to attending the program within 30 days of receiving an acceptance letter.
- June 2017 - Invoicing for program tuition is sent out
- August 15, 2017 - Tuition payment due
The Learning Academy at USF is an approved Vocational Rehabilitation Vendor for the State of Florida. Individuals working with a Vocational Rehabilitation counselor can request the Learning Academy program be included in their Individualized Plan for Employment. Private tuition is also accepted.
Tuition for the Learning Academy for the 2017-2018 school year is $9,900.00.
Students are entitled to a full refund if they withdraw from the program by the fifth day of the start of the program. Students are entitled to a 25% refund if they withdraw after the fifth day of the start of the program but prior to the first day of the fourth week of the program.
Individuals must provide their Individualized Plan for Employment, authorizing payment from Vocational Rehabilitation or a signed commitment for private payment upon agreement to attend the program.
Vocational Rehabilitation (VR)
The Learning Academy at USF is an approved vendor of the Florida Department of Vocational Rehabilitation and they may fund tuition for participation in the program. We offer the following suggestions to assist you in this process:
- The sooner you are involved with VR the better. If you are still in school and are considering the Learning Academy as a post school option, make sure a VR counselor is invited to your Transitional IEP (TIEP) meeting.
- Ask that your desire to apply to the Learning academy be a goal in your TIEP.
- If you have already graduated from high school, apply for VR services immediately. The VR process takes time and has many steps. You do not want your opportunity to participate in the Learning Academy to be held up because you began the VR process too late.
- When you meet with your VR counselor, be prepared to describe to him/her what the Learning Academy is and why you believe it is needed for you to move forward with your employment goals.
- Provide your VR Counselor with information about the Learning Academy if he or she is not familiar with the program. Ask your counselor if the two of you can visit the program together to observe and meet with staff and students.
- Make sure that the Learning Academy is written into your Individual Plan for Employment. That is the only way to be certain that VR will fund your participation in the Learning Academy.
Download a Brochure