Becoming an Adult with ASD
Asperger's Syndrome, All Grown Up courtesy of HealthyState.org.
There's been much talk in the news lately about children with autism. But what happens when these children grow up? In this video, we meet four young adults with Asperger's syndrome, a form of autism that impairs social skills. They discuss the challenges of maintaining friendships, dating, working and living independently with Asperger's.
About the Program
The Learning Academy at the University of South Florida is a customized transition program that assists in preparing young adults diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder for employment. The Learning Academy provides services, supports and experiential opportunities that develop and enhance each student's independence in meeting personal career goals. Our students engage in self-discovery and career exploration through real-life experiences such as internships and peer mentoring which allows generalization of learned skills.
- To provide a rich experience that enables students to enhance and advance their career preparation skills.
- To provide an inclusive, authentic experience for students with disabilities with age appropriate peers that provides classroom based and experiential learning.
- To increase personal knowledge and technical skills of each participant that leads to successful adult experiences.
- To improve the ability of participants to find and maintain employment.
- To provide experiential opportunities that lead to successful career and employment outcomes.
- To improve the ability of participants to gain social success.
Outcomes for Students
- Individualized knowledge of how they learn and awareness of and experience with techniques that augment their individual learning style.
- Specific knowledge of their strengths and abilities.
- Specific strategies to set and achieve goals for the future.
- An authentic college experience with access to USF students, professionals and activities.
- An electronic portfolio describing who they are, their strengths and their goals.
- A newly designed resume, job and/or college seeking skills and a clearly developed path for the future.
- A certificate of completion from the Learning Academy at USF.
Areas Covered in the Curriculum
- Understanding yourself, your resources and your rights.
- Self advocacy.
- Building self management skills related to employment.
- Making and achieving personal goals.
- Social skills in the “adult world.”
- Making and keeping friends.
- Understanding the value of work, expectations and career development.
- Job matching, job search and associated skills to obtain and maintain meaningful employment.
- Developing an understanding of benefits, paycheck deductions and options.
Download a Brochure